RCU Forums - View Single Post - Radio Recommendation
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 09:49 AM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Well Jim being rather recently involved in the jet world having achieved the fixed wing jet waiver only maybe a year and half ago. I am speaking of experience primarily with just one engine (Kingtech K60).

The engines onboard computer which controls start up, fuel control as well as shut down and cooling and stores all the engine parameters including any errors in the RF link. For starting and post flight use the GSU (ground support unit) is plugged in externally and can read all of these current parameters as well as all from the previous flight. Its actually an amazing trove of information with such things as total time on the engine whether there was a flame out on a flight and total number of start attempts. Amoung this info is "Radio Errors" actual momentary errors in the RF link of the previous flight or engine run.

Having used the Hitec system for perhaps close to a year all during the training for the turbine waiver typically after every flight there would be anywhere up to 50 errors recorded. later though this started creeping up as high as 400 errors and of course caused alarm. After much head scratching and component change outs including receiver I decided enough and popped for the 14SG. Since more channels also offers less complications with the twin boom jets this was a much needed and desirable feature.

With the 14SG and a recorded 28 flights the radio errors have been and remain zero.

I am not any kind of engineer or teckie so all of the above is just the best I know how to explain it.

John
Thanks for the info John. I looked at the manual for the engine and it looks like all they do is look at the pulse width from the receiver to the ECU. I would never expect to see an error there with a Futaba as it will always send pulses within expected limits even if you lost the signal completely. I'm not sure what Hitec does but perhaps they could tell you if you are still interested.

Jim