RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF SPITFIRE ASSEMBLY and SCALE DETAILING
Old 06-15-2016, 03:29 AM
krazy kanuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AERILON CONTROL INSTALLATION

Well I got through my first chemo and radiation treatment and I feel great. No sickness or tiredness yet.

I'm not a fan of two things that Carf wants you to do in mounting the aerilon servos.

First I do not like the Glass Fiber control horns. I had one break on my Carf 330SC when I accidentally hit the outside horn on my elevator. I replaced it with the Hanger 9 HAN 3615 Control horn and this system has worked great for me since. On my Krill after many flights I had the hole between the two fiber horns slightly elongate from the 4-40 bolt going through. This lead to some slop. So again I replaced it with a Hanger 9 Control Horn.

BUT I did follow exactly where Carf tells you to install the horns (1 inch in sideways and 1/2 inch down). There is a supporting block there that you drill through and it gives a lot of rigidity to the control horn assembly. I drilled the hole slightly undersize then tapped the wood for a 10-32 bolt. I used Locktite epoxy to hold it in place. The Philips flat head is countersunk and I will fill it in prior to painting and it will not bee seen.

I also was not a fan of the way the servo is buried deep into the top underside of the wing. This eliminates only 1/2 of the control linkage and does hide the control arm. But it puts it at a awkward angle for precise adjustment. On watching many videos of this plane flying, you can still see the control horns and part of the linkage, so I opted to not care that servo arm, the whole linkage and control horns would be seen.

I used the EXACT same servo hatches that came from my crashed Carf Extra 330sc. They still had the metal servo holders still attached.

I cut the servo hatch with my new HOT KNIFE. What a tool. as it does such an exacting job. I just lay a flexible ruler against the outside of the line and slowly cut away. Afterwards I followed Carf's advice and added the strengtheners between the upper and lower wing skins.

I'm using Savox 2270 Brushless servos for both aerilons.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A HATCH REMOVED HOT KNIFE.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	2168013   Click image for larger version

Name:	B SUPPORT HATCH PARTS.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	2168014   Click image for larger version

Name:	C ASSEMBLED HATCH SUPPORT.JPG
Views:	733
Size:	102.7 KB