RCU Forums - View Single Post - Star Trek is here...
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Big N00b
Update: Been a month since I posted about this and I am taking my sweet-a@@-time, that's for sure

I've got a good little wireless network dedicated to the Pi (for the printer server) via a netgear wifi extender. Worked perfectly at the midpoint between den and garage area, boosted a single dot signal to full strength signal. File transfer speed is a non-issue now.

I took some time to work the smooth rods to a better finish, which I just finished yesterday. After cleaning the rods with chrome polish, I used Brasso and 2k grit wet/dry to further smooth out the rod surface. Once done, I used carnauba cleaner wax to polish the rods.
The difference is staggering when compared to how it is from the box. I am guessing here that the bearing sleeves require some break-in time to become smoother? mine seemed to be catchy/draggy straight from the box and after working the rods. I had decided to go the IGUS polymer route as alternate bearings and while they were way better on the original rods, they now slide with the slightest of effort, sounding almost like falling snow as they move - I mean REAL quiet shshshshshsh sounding . I've also got metal replacement guide rollers to replace the plastic ones on the belt pulleys (F623ZZ Flanged Miniature Bearing 3x10x4).

I will be installing auto-leveling functionality using the inductive proximity sensor setup....more to follow as it happens.
You using a Pi2 or Pi3? I've been eyeing one of those Pi3 for a NaS and another for home automation....