RCU Forums - View Single Post - Drone VS Aircraft - Mid Air Collisions
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 07:32 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Convenient. If your position was as compelling as you say, then I'd think you'd jump to defend the hobby to the Governor and point out his error in judgement.

On the other hand, I'm providing letters of support for the FAA's actions thus far, and including specific policy recommendations for consideration. In this case, a 400 foot limit for all sUAS, citing FAA's own statements of risk to manned aircraft above 500 feet. It's also easy to include actual examples of dangerous behaviors and crashes - fireballs, crashes into pits, crashes into spectators, crashes of large airplanes that barely miss large crowds, overflights of cars and buildings (violation of AMA code), etc. Links to news stories of injuries and deaths. All are cited as examples of why self regulation may not be working as well as they're being told.
You are the one fixated on writing to some Governor, not quite sure why. He would most likely ignore any letter from either of us, and quite frankly yours would probably be seen as alarmist, overreaching, impossible to enforce, and agenda driven. Sure, you can look back at 80 years of activity and find some one-offs, who couldn't? I'm sure you can find some horrible stuff that happened in the Navy as well, sloppy stupid actions that lead to a poor outcome. So what, what does it prove? We are an imperfect species living in an imperfect world. Burdening everyone because of a few ones offs is no solution. All the rules and regs in the world won't preclude further losses.