RCU Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for my son starting out?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 07:09 PM
vitamink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyUs
I really wish I could give you a definite answer. Today's high bite tracks have forced the geometry of platforms into mid-motor this, and mid-motor that. There is not a lot of RTRs out there that are mid-motor straight out of the box. The Associated B4.2 buggy is great in either form (RTR/Kit). I don't want to say a person can't hang, running a rear motor buggy/ST/SCT, in a pack of $$$ latest and greatest mid-motor guys/gals. It's just that there would be a disadvantage right from the get go.
Hmm, that does pose a bit of a pickle. My gravitation toward the b4.2 was that it might be something that could be (eventually) upgradeable to race readiness. If the motor placement is going to give it a definite disadvantage, then I wonder if my logic here may be flawed.

On the other hand, at least I know I can trust Team Associated build quality, and it should be better equipped to handle the abuse a rookie driver might deal out.

I guess I just wonder if I shouldn't get one of the cheaper RTR models (ECX?) that would never be race-quality, but could serve as a learning vehicle.
And then you have 4wd side of things. More start up cost, more parts to maintain, but the easiest to drive.
Yeah, hadn't seen anything in our price range in the 4WD class that seemed to be really "quality". I guess there is the Traxxas Slash that could make for a reasonable SCT, if properly upgraded? Still pretty spendy in the Brushless package, though.

I know things ($$$) can get out of hand real quick when it comes to racing. Piecing together a complete racing package using the lower end gear will set a person back a bit. Just get your kid's feet wet with a RTR and go from there. (Is that my final answer?)
Thanks, I appreciate the food for thought. Gut feeling is to still go with the b4.2, but will definitely mull things. Will also ask folks at the track what they're running.

Possibly the track has a novice class, or "run what you brung" class to start out with?
Yeah, this is something else I'll ask about, come Wednesday evening. Thanks again!