RCU Forums - View Single Post - Remount Engine Orientation Question
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 04:25 AM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DGrant
Take a wire, usually about the size of a pushrod... even a coat hanger.. Make it plenty long to easily reach from the firewall to the radio compartment... a bit longer is better.. After you have your holes drilled for your mount.., (the tank can't be in the plane obviously, as you need the access).. insert the wire into the hole from the front through the tank compartment to the point you can see and reach the end that you inserted... Put your blind nut on the end of the wire(make sure its facing the correct direction so it seats properly..).. Put a wheel collar on the end of the wire.. to capture the blind nut... then carefully pull the wire back out the way you inserted it.. You should be able to seat the blind nut enough to start a screw into it to seat in completely.

You do know the holes in the firewall need to be large enough for the shank on the blind nut to seat within. Which is usually a size or so larger then the screws. Test it on some scrap to be sure... but the above method works well. It does take some patience, but its very effective and doable. Good luck with it.

PS... If you don't have an available wheel collar, you can just make a small 90degee bend in the wire to capture the blind nut, then back the wire out of the radio compartment instead of the firewall ... I hope this makes sense... It works either way.
That makes better sense, thank you. Doing without the glue makes sense. Doing it with glue sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Keeping the glue on the nut as you drop into the fuse would be hard. Good chance the glue will run off or down the rod. If you did it the other direction. Allow the nut to sit on the collar and pull up. Good chance the glue will run off the nut and and onto the collar. Either way I can't see how you could manage to glue the blind nut into place. The only result I can for see is a mess of glue getting onto things you don't want, and the blind nut never getting glued to the inside of the firewall. More over I would think anyone doing this method wouldn't even try to glue the nuts in place.

You do know the holes in the firewall need to be large enough for the shank on the blind nut to seat within. Which is usually a size or so larger then the screws.

Of course!

Unless the Muffler causes me issues with the Cowling I'm not going to be changing the Engine Orientation. But it's good to know that I could if needed too.

Last edited by gregoryshock; 07-13-2016 at 04:44 AM.