RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aristo-Craft D17s Staggerwing
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 07:51 PM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

I haven't posted in a couple of days but in the mean time I have most of the upper wing framed up. I'm building a more scale like wing with no dihedral on the upper wing. Other than adding the ailerons, it's pretty much a standard "D" tube wing. You can also see where I have engineered space for ailerons. Before I wrap up the sheeting and cap stripping I will have to install some mounting blocks fore and aft to bolt down the wing. The wing tips add about four inches to each wing tip and are raised by the thickness of the wing. This will add some dihedral effect. I am planning on adding a small amount of dihedral to the lower wing but not nearly so much as the kit was designed with. The plans and instructions don't specify how much diehdral there should be but they show about ten degrees of dihedral on the drawings and if one used the included dihedral braces it would be more like twelve degrees. It seems a lot, even for a three channel design but if built with the stock parts each wing tip would be two and a half inches off the table at the outermost rib. I am currently shopping for some 40 to 50 oz torque mini servos to go in the upper wing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0114.JPG
Views:	928
Size:	780.4 KB
ID:	2175611   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0115.JPG
Views:	947
Size:	715.3 KB
ID:	2175612