RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where to put a work shop/work area?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 07:08 PM
mgnostic

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Getting into the discussion a little late I guess. I've built models on the desk in my dorm room in college, then moved to the bar between the kitchen and the den in my first house. In the next house I started in a spare bedroom but kept getting bumped as we remodeled.I moved to the basement and added lighting and electrical outlets. My wife is claustrophobic so no competition for the somewhat creepy basement but it was a pain getting larger models in and out as the stairs exited through the kitchen. After selling that house and building out in the country I have a moderately large outbuilding. So far the only downsides have been the mosquitoes and the lack of a computer drop. I framed in a 10x24 room in the back of the shop building and insulated the heck out of it. The insulation alone keeps the temp down around 90 even when the outside temp is 104. The kids got me a window unit for fathers day and that keeps it pretty cool. I have the advantage of starting with a building that already had a breaker box and living in the country (no inspections or code although I have tried to build everything to meet or exceed code. Bottom line, if you live in Texas, you want an air conditioner and if yo are in the house you will always be competing for space. The electrical work is a one time expense and a wired outbuilding will add to the value of the property. Additionally overspray on the wife's car will NOT make her happy. It sounds like you have made up your mind but I would still say go with the outbuilding for a long term solution.