RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aristo-Craft D17s Staggerwing
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 08:23 PM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

It would be interesting to compare my build with a laser cut kit. Aside from the conveniences that come from laser cutting I think it would come out lighter. This kit has a lot of three ply plywood that is heavier than lite-ply. I think in some cases you could use balsa even. I'm not too worried about the weight though, as it has a pretty generous wing area. I didn't get a lot done today due to working on the kids cars and mowing on the pasture.

The first picture show the slots cut in the lower wing to give access to the landing gear blocks. The second picture shows a deviation from the plans. W8, the aft wing tip brace was moved forward a bit so that it didn't stick up above the tip rib and then swept back to match the tip of the wing. The wing tip is sheeted and it gives a smooth wing tip this way. The other two picture just show the leading edge sheeting. The wing on this airplane is a pretty standard built up wing with sheet from the leading edge back to the spars and cap strips and a sheeted center section. There are shear webs on the spars and the dihedral brace on the lower wing extends outboard of the landing gear. The brace could probably function as a spar all on its own. The actual spars are "Japanese Cyprus". This appears to be a hardwood. Even after all these years the spars were still straight and distortion free.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bob.JPG
Views:	921
Size:	759.0 KB
ID:	2177263   Click image for larger version

Name:	earl.JPG
Views:	863
Size:	782.1 KB
ID:	2177264   Click image for larger version

Name:	ralph.JPG
Views:	832
Size:	752.1 KB