RCU Forums - View Single Post - I guess this FPV drone racing fad is becoming mainstream with large Pro Sports owners
Old 09-14-2016, 10:01 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
Yeah we have members who fly FPV racing drones at our club field, but they have to have a spotter; and I have looked through FPV goggles and have flown racing drones.. I would be pretty good at fpv drone racing with a good standard aircraft hud on good goggles. I do have a 450x Helicopter I still fly occasionally. I was just mentioning that drone/mr racing, it's becoming main stream... cause ESPN 2 is only one away from ESPN and 6 channels better than ESPN8....
We have the same at ours, although some of the guys are actually racing the course without the goggles, that adds a whole different layer of complexity to it. If you already have the heli and fixed wing piece down, I bet you would do great at it. Give it a try, so far the most damage I see from crashes is a few props. Our grass is a little higher but these things don't seem to break nearly as much as my planes when I do a dirt dive.

I would agree with you that this form of flying is becoming more mainstream, just as the use of it's close brother, the "Drone" is. I don't think I've ever seen another channel start a relationship with any other kind of RC flying, but might be wrong on that. They aren't doing this for some altruistic means, they are doing it because it's popular...and there is sponsorship and advertising dollars in it. Every time a new technology comes into popularity there is a big rush to be involved in it, then it settles down and will either peter out, or start it's slow build, and eventual plateau. I think that can be said for any of the aircraft now involved in the hobby.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after you give it a try, either with or without the goggles.