RCU Forums - View Single Post - big saab gripen crash
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 10:01 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think it is rudder flutter.
The pilot comes in at full power for a knife edge pass. Kicks the rudder in full travel.
The fin separates due to excessive aerodynamic loads. As the plane is not full knife edge pass yet, this creates an increase of the AOA and left roll in a split of a second. The lift generated induces the structural failure of both wings ( one can actually see that the spars went through the structure and are sitll in position after the wings separated ). The nose section separates due to the AOA now being 90 degrees and still high velocity.
The rear section yaws in inverted and inflates from the front opening. It self destroys before reaching the ground. The only thing that reaches the ground relatively intact is the nose section.

Bottom line:
1. A 1/2 scale airplane IS an airplane. Proper structural design and analysis must be conducted for public presentation. This was not the case.
2. A presentation pilot must know the limitations of its plane. Proper flight test must be conducted before putting a plane to its limits in a meeting.

What I mean by this is progressive opening of the flight domain.
The first flights must be done to only test the takeoff and landing flap configurations and stall speeds ( gear remains down ) as well as CG position in this configuration.
When all the stall speeds are confirmed, flights with gear up can be conducted.
Only then can the clean configuration stall be tested. This typically takes 4 to 6 flights.
Then the CG position can be fine tuned in clean configuration.
Once this is done, clean configuration top speed can be gradually extended.
Once maneuvering speed is reached, the first aerobatics maneuvers can be tested.

All of this implies a thorough inspection after each flight and maintaining a flight log with a snag list.

I have the full description of proper test flights and pre-maiden procedures on my blog.

http://www.ultimate-jets.net/blogs/f...ols-on-rc-jets

Last edited by olnico; 09-16-2016 at 11:50 PM.