RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky Ilya Muromets CG
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 07:31 AM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sal, the single word that comes to mind with seeing the video is MAGNIFICENT !

As you well know, designing and building a model from scratch involves a lot of decisions and problem solving along the way. It looks to me like you got it 99.9% right the first time. That's a remarkable show of good judgement and solid problem solving skills. Now, with a bit of landing gear work you should be ready to show 'em at any meet where the best of the best come together.

In your post #148 you mentioned programming a bit of elevator trim to be mixed in with throttle. I have done that on a couple of models and found it to make for a nicer handling airplane. But I have also found that I needed to program some delay into the elevator trim movement. In my case, elevator trim change was largely a function of airspeed, and airspeed doesn't immediately change when you move the throttle. The airspeed lagged the throttle movement by a bit, so the trim change need to lag by a similar amount. Your mileage may vary, as your trim change may be the result of prop blast over the wing and empennage rather than due to overall airspeed change. The Ilya Muromets does appear to be sort of a "one speed" airplane.

I don't know what brand transmitter you are using, or whether you have played with a delayed mix function. The objective is to have the trim change wash in slowly after throttle movement. In my case (Airtronics SD-10G), no matter how fast I move the throttle, the mixed elevator trim takes about 5 seconds to fully come in. If you can implement this function in your transmitter, starting with a very long delay seems to be harmless.

Dick

Last edited by otrcman; 09-23-2016 at 07:39 AM.