RCU Forums - View Single Post - Frank Tiano for AMA President
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 06:15 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

I gauge hobby participation on a number of factors, one being the avialability of materials and where they came from. Years ago you couldn't spit without hitting a local hobby shop now they are getting like hen's teeth to find. A new hobby shop has a less than 10% chance of surviving after the first year. The number of companies dedicated to manufacturing hobby supplies is shrinking, say what you will but the consolidation of Great Planes, Hobbico, Tower, etc has probably kept them in business. Look at the big hobby manufacturers most of them have other products/businesses that pay the overhead and keep them in business, their hobby products are a sideline. We have seen a lot of new laser cutting services but most of these guys have another job. They cut airplane kits and short kits to supplement their costs and help pay for their laser cutting setup. Our hobby is not alone. My wife loved to do needlepoint she would buy these kits with all the threads and the design was printed on the background material. Back in the 1980s their would be rows and rows of kit to choose from but try and find a place that sells the kits or kits that are still made. Its easier to find a new R/C kit. If you do find any they are usually counter cross stitch which means you get a drawing and count the threads on the background material to locate the stitches, the design is no longer printed on the cloth and with her eyesight she can't do it.