RCU Forums - View Single Post - Turbines, safety and complacency
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2016, 02:22 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I forgot about this one too. Another reason it may still be prudent to use a data terminal over just telemetry is to ensure everything is shut down correctly. When I went to superman in I believe 2004, autostart was the cool new thing. There was somebody there who after his last flight shut down and disassembled his airplane. Loaded in his trailer and forgot about it. The issue was that he had forgotten to shut his airplane off. Now granted this was back in the 72mhz days and this is unlikely to be an issue today with 2.4 being so prevalent but somebody else ran a start sequence on a jet in the same frequency and it started the jet inside the trailer. Fortunately there wasn't enough starting gas in the onboard tank to complete a start cycle but there was enough to cause some damage. At the last event I was at, after flying my firebird even with plugging in the data terminal for shut down, once the hatch was back on I questioned if I hadn't shut the radio off. Fortunately I had but I needed to double check. I'm sure I'd have forgotten at some point in the last decade to shut everything off if I wasn't still opening everything up to shut down. Might be a one in a million chance but still something to consider.