RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need help with Bonner 4RS
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 07:48 AM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Jay,

"It's a bit itchy" ? Heck, my Bonner 4RS was a bit itchy when it was brand new in 1967 !

My radio spent as much time back to the factory as it did at home for the first year. It simply wouldn't pass a range test. And at the flying field I had to be ever so careful to not taxi too far downwind before turning around for the takeoff roll. If I taxxied too far away from myself it would just keep on going !

One day I was playing with the radio out of the airplane. I had the entire airborne set laid out on a sheet of plywood, experimenting with spreading out the servos, receiver & battery to see if component distance would help the range. (Very little improvement.) For some reason, I unplugged one servo. The antenna-off range nearly doubled ! So I unplugged a second servo. And the range got even better. When I got down to one servo, the range was excellent.

Long story short, I bought a Controlaire S-4 servo (kit form) at the hobby shop to see if it performed any better than the original servos. With one Controlaire and 3 Bonner servos, the range was sufficiently improved that I could fly with much less concern for running out of range. As I could afford them ($9.95 each) I bought three more Controlaire servos and discarded the Bonners. At that point I had a super radio.

Dick