RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2016, 05:13 PM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my Mustang to the OTOW event today. Fair attendance, around 30 pilots and some had several planes. I thought, from the weather forecast, that it would be windy and cold. It was cold, low 40s, but very clear and little wind at first. I got set up for an early flight to beat the gusty wind coming later. On my 1st flight it went well until I completed a high speed pass, then I noticed 1 gear door hanging down so I cut throttle and brought it in for a good landing, not wanting to risk losing the door. It took Bill and I a half hour to fix the horn that had come loose from the door. I had to reinforce the cracked plastic near the horn slot with a thin piece of hardwood I scrounged from the tool box. That done, I checked the plane all over and noticed that the black oil residue the DA 60 had been spraying back on the belly scoop had changed to red unburned Redline oil, always a good sign with a new engine. Last week it had started idling too high and running rich from 1/2 throttle up so I had tweeked the needles a tiny amount, and today it began to prop rip, something this new motor had not done before during the previous 20 flights.

Turning a Graupner 22-12 PRO carbon prop fast enough to rip in level flight takes some serious horspower. I may be able to run a larger prop soon. The next 2 flights went very well inspite of the occasional gusty winds blowing though. While the landings were not the best I have done, none were messed up, we had a good day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	H 9 P-51D 10th flight IMG_1259.jpg
Views:	1269
Size:	542.8 KB
ID:	2187054  

Last edited by sjhanc; 10-22-2016 at 05:15 PM.