RCU Forums - View Single Post - DLE 35ra timing 46??
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2016, 03:01 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

w8ye - I don't have access to a "new" manual from Hobby Services.

I bought a new engine on April 8, 2016 from my LHS.The manual that came with it was only 4 pages, and has Chinese and English text from Mile Hao Xiang Technology Co. It says nothing about ignition timing. The "online" manual from Hobby Services is the only "full" manual that I've ever seen. This is my third DLE 35ra.

I had a lot of problems with the ignition module on my first DLE 35 engine. I was using an IBEC and a 4.8 Vdc battery pack. My engine would cut out if I made a hard left or right aileron roll. That drove me crazy for quite a while. There was never a problem with that setup when I used a 30 cc engine A-01 module on the DLE 35.

I checked the ignition module with my timing wheel and mapped out the timing curve with an O'Scope and discovered the strange "advance, retard, advance" notch and thought that was due to a bad module.

I sent in all of the technical data to HS with charts on the curve difference between the A-01 and A-02 modules and explained that it was mechanically and electrically IMPOSSIBLE for me to get 46 Degrees BTDC. I sent in my "bad" module and they sent me a new one with no explanation concerning my timing diagram, or what the correct timing should be. I sent that one back in since it performed exactly the same as the first one. I still couldn't get the "correct" timing. They sent me module #3 as a replacement. I finally gave up trying to get 46 degrees and looked for other issues. That's when I discovered that the A-02 module would not work at the same "low voltage" as the A-01 module even though they both have the 4.8 Vdc marking. When they increased the upper voltage from 6 Vdc to 8.4 Vdc, they also raised the "low" voltage that the module would operate at. When I feel better, I'll measure that and post the results.

I'm disappointed that Hobby Services has not corrected their manuals, nor have they put the information in their "Tech Notes", and they have never provided any technical answers to my questions about the timing curve differences.