RCU Forums - View Single Post - Prop drive hub for a v1 DLE-111
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2016, 05:51 PM
wpmcnamara
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop drive hub for a v1 DLE-111

In going over the engine after a somewhat forceful deadstick, I found cracks in the prop drive hub. I don't believe they came from the landing as it wasn't that bad. Pancaked the landing gear and broke the glue joints on the firewall. Didn't even break the prop. It was a blind landing so I was guessing when to flare. Anyway, I need to replace the prop drive hub and of course you can't by a V1 hub. So, I'm faced with a few options: find someone that has one they will sell, replace the entire bottom end so I can use the newer hub, sell the engine for scrap, or have a new hub custom manufactured.

Ideally, I'd like #1, so if anyone has a v1 hub they can sell me, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm considering having a new one made. If I go that route, I'd be curious to know if anyone else would want one. I've already done the design work and if I send it off to a professional house, a single one is about $200. If I increase the quantity the price, obviously, drops: qty 10 -- ~ $50 per, qty 25 -- ~$35 per. I'm also looking to see if I can find a local shop that can do it.

The part itself can be done almost entirely on a lathe. The exception being the slot for the woodruff key. Cutting a 70mill square slot down the length of a tapered bore is a bit more complex operation. I need to take some measurements to see if I can make it a bit deeper and get away with having the bottom of the slot rounded.

Anyway, I'd love thoughts and suggestions from the collective knowledge of the forum.

--wpm