RCU Forums - View Single Post - Landing Drag Shoot, The Hows and should we?
Old 11-28-2016, 12:35 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rhklenke
I have not had that kind of difficulty with mine. I did have a few cords come loose, but threading them back into the chute and hitting them with a drop of thick CA fixed that. Mine is quite dirty and a bit frayed from use, but actually, that's scale...

The chute is kind of fun, but its a scale detail used for its cool-factor, not to stop the aircraft. I only use it when I'm doing a flight at an event or demo, for day-to-day flying, its not worth it.

Packing the chute with a bit of talc on it gives a very satisfying "puff of smoke" when the chute deploys which the spectators seem to like. I don't drop my chute, but simply drag it back to the flight line and then pick it up and carry it back behind the plane to the pits after shutdown. I only use it on hard-surface, not grass for that reason. Whether or not it stays inflated on taxi back depends on the direction and strength of the wind vs. the turbine exhaust. If its *really* windy, I don't use it because the wind will blow it back into the airplane on taxi-back and it can get wrapped around things like the landing gear...

Bob

wow ok thanks, so you think grass is harder on the shutes vs concrete?

Sounds cool

any Clips?