RCU Forums - View Single Post - Balsa USA 1/4 Sopwith Camel rebuild , or.... what I have been doing this winter.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:05 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My friend was heartbroken to say the least.. but wanted nothing to do with rebuilding it either...

I kept saying "Just don't throw it away" Finally he wanted to get rid of it as he had stripped the internals for his new BUSA 1/4 Spad.. So he dropped it at my house. I had picked up a Camel kit second hand so I passed the crashed Camel to another person interested in rebuilding it. After he had it a day and stripped the wings he called me and said..

"Come get this thing or I am trashing it" it was pretty bad...

Well I couldn't stand that it had been so short lived, and after he had stripped the wings I thought heck.. Thats a big help. I started cutting the damage out of the wings center sections.. removed the wingtips to build them differently, and started cutting parts for a new fuse...

There is no doubt now I could have built new wings faster than repairing these ! But since the tail was good, and the landing gear and bulk of the wings were saveable, I had to do it...Some parts of the fuse were reusable, though not many.