RCU Forums - View Single Post - Northstar mods - Tell me what you think
Old 01-30-2017, 10:18 AM
Bob93447

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OLD Northstar finally gets airborne

I finally did the maiden flight on my Balsa USA Northstar which was given to me as a kit in 1988. Since the plane is currently located in South Lake Tahoe, the first flight was off of snow since that's the most common form of water at this time of year (the Lake is nice an smooth but far too cold to swim after a downed aircraft). Due to the pressures of work, etc, I didn't start building it until a couple of years ago and I finally finished it late last year. Since this is the first kit that I have finished in over 30 years (ARF's are a lot quicker) I pretty much stuck to the plans.

Key mods 1) electric power -- Hyperion 3025 motor (970 kv), 100 amp castle edge esc, 5S 4500mah 30C 525gm battery. With this setup I am able to turn a Master Airscrew 10x6 S2 prop at >15,500 rpm. I chose to go with a higher RPM setup rather than extending the pylon to get the height to turn a larger diameter prop.

2) Elevator and Rudder servos mounted in the tail. With the light motor (200 gms) and no fuel tank I was able to use the space in the Nacelle to house the servos and provide a more positive connection to the elevator. Without the cowl and without a spinner on the motor, the aircraft balances about 1" in front of the step. With the spinner and cowl installed I expect the balance point to be slightly ahead of the step. The horizontal stabilizer, elevator, and upper fin are removable for transportation purposes.

Takeoff from snow was relatively quick and no significant trim was required to get to straight and level flight. The power train has plenty of capability for flight at my altitude, 6230'. I'm hoping for an equally pleasant water flying experience when access to the lake becomes easily available 3 or 4 months from now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Northstar photo.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	982.8 KB
ID:	2199053  
The following users liked this post:
SAPropbuster2 (12-19-2020)