RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/2A Size Dumas Boat Club
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 11:15 AM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Claim HP on the dyno from the manufacturer can be a bit touted at times, however there is some true gold out there.
It's all in the set up and how you choose to load the engine with craft size / shape and prop selection.

Last summer I did up two small .010 sized planes for all out speed best pass: 130.4 mph / 35.2k rpm / custom cut prop.
Best rpm pass 41,985 stock prop. Doing down wind passes right at the video cam, average speeds are much less into the wind.

No other plane documented on YouTube goes this fast with a TD.010 / stock prop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyknz70Eds8 Clip of the fastest TD .010 in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i4r2kDOBlQ Prop 2.56 x 4N / 30% Nitro:
Static 28,858 rpm / 109.3 mph / .028hp / 21w / 1.5oz thrust
Unloaded best pass per prop calc 133mph audio tach / 130.4 mph per doppler reading
and best pass on this vid 35,184 rpm / 3oz RTF / 2ch RC micro race plane.

The 2nd smaller race plane was set up and tested at the end of last year only 2oz RTF it has hit 118 mph with lower
pitch test prop same prop with the plane shown in the vid does 97 mph. I then shelved it for safe keeping and testing
this yr. should do 145 mph + with it this summer in the thinner air same conditions.

I have been drawn to the smaller displacement engines do to thier ability to run at
higher rpm's without self destructing. The Italian Picco .05 is the most impressive so far
but some of the other small car engines have a shot too so exploring whats possible.

The new rigger design is a step in the right direction for more speed the only way to
truly leap forward in speed is to reduce the tub width even more. Use balsa thin carbon
blended hull, nix the large fancy custom stainless steel fuel tank for a minimalist nylon tank
only good for a 5 min run. Airfoiled carbon booms, carbon rudder, aluminum prop and carbon
drive dog. carbon tube for the stuffing box. Single cell lipo with a step up voltage regulator.
Exhaust throttled header pipe with a tuned pipe and a clean large lipped venturi intake.
I think 55 mph + with the new SH-.07 design and if the above was implemented 85 mph is possible.
Impressive for 1/2A .

0.06957 cu. in. / 1.14cc

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4858.jpg
Views:	1576
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	2205902  

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 03-18-2017 at 11:47 AM.