RCU Forums - View Single Post - Northstar mods - Tell me what you think
Old 04-29-2017, 01:57 PM
Bob93447

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob,

The motor is a Hyperion Zs3026 with a 970 KV rating. Weight is about 200 grams and it has about a 70 amp limit. (Hyperion motors were manufactured in the same facility as Scorpion Motors but were sold with higher wattage limits; which is probably why they are no longer available). The ESC is a Castle Creations 100 amp edge located in the forward compartment. I plan to use a small, 40 mm computer fan for cooling. The esc to motor wires are 12 gauge high stand count (very flexible) about 800mm long. The battery is a Hobby People 5S (18.5v) 4500 mah that weighs about 510 grams. Total weight, with battery installed and ready to fly, is about 6.25 lbs. The first few flights used a master airscrew 10x6 scimitar prop which gave about a 950 watt motor draw. These flights were off of snow. The next set of flights, off water, will be with a MA 10x7 scimitar prop. If I don't have sufficient power to get off the water cleanly, then the next step will be to use a MA 10x7 three blade prop.
Depending how the CG works out, I am still considering modifying the aircraft so that the ESC is mounted just behind the hatch and sticking through the top deck for cooling. This mod would also allow me to shorten the esc-motor wires.

Bob