RCU Forums - View Single Post - Making a Wing Spar
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 12:52 PM
ibuild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have made some carriers for the lengths of carbon tow, it will be become quite a few lengths when all is ready and some order in the chaos is necessary. I have limited space so I need to have these at another table and be able to carry them on to my workbench when I actually need them. The carriers is thin slices of foam that is covered with protective plastic to ensure a smooth and clean surface.

Before I lay them down on to the carrier I try to unwind and spread the tow a little so that it is easier to lay it in to the mold nice and flat and so that the fibers ends up being as straight as possible. There will be 5 of these lengths that runs all the way from root to tip in each sparcap, on top of that there will be one additional tow each 10 centimeters or about every 4 inches so that the sparcap gets gradually thicker towards the root. These are the bottom sparcaps, the top sparcaps is about 7,5 centimeters or 3 inches between the additional tows so the top sparcaps becomes slightly thicker towards the root than the bottom ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0003.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	2212771Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0005.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	2212772Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0006.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	353.7 KB