RCU Forums - View Single Post - BJ Craft Agenda w/Brenner V4 Drive
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 06:14 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the wheel pants on the BJ Craft planes have gotten kind of a bad rep. If done correctly I think it is a great system. I have never broken a pant after I learned the right way to do this system. In most of the BJ Craft kits there is a plywood sheet that has some small donuts laser cut. This kit didn’t have them so I made some out of 1/8” ply. These donuts are glued in to the wheel pant where the bolt goes through. Vaseline up the bolt, slide it and the donuts in to the pant as in the pic. Use just a bit of CA to tack glue the donuts to the pant. Then, and this is important, glue them in using Hysol. Put a filet of epoxy all the way around the donut. DON’T be tempted to just use CA. It will break loose and the pant will slowly be destroyed. Now for the installation of the wheel and pant. Sorry for the poor quality of the pics. I didn’t look at them until after everything was done! Take the long bolt supplied and partially insert it in to the wheel pant. Once it is in install two flat washers. These center the wheel in the opening. Then run the bolt through the wheel until it is just sticking out of the hub. Then take one of the locknuts, run a bolt through it once, and install it on to the axle bolt. It is installed with the plastic locking ring engaging the bolt first, putting the flat side of the nut against the ply donut. I use a pair of hemostats to hold the nut as I work it in. You will have to spread the pant open more to get it all in. Once the nut has engaged the bolt, continue screwing it in until it tightens against the wheel, and then back it off a bit to keep the wheel free to turn. An issue I see with a lot of BJ Craft models is that the wheel pant assembly moves around. This ability to rotate is why I like the system. If you hit a bump the pant will move instead of breaking. But you don’t want it to mode on the slightest touch. So I glue a piece of 120 grit sandpaper to the LG strut. This adds friction to help keep the pant in alignment. Once that is glued on, bolt the assembly to the leg using a washer and a locknut. Tighten it up using a nutdriver, keeping the axle bolt still. Once it’s tight, check the wheel to see if it still is free to spin. If not, grab the inside nut with those hemostats and back the axle bolt off a bit until it is free. Doing the installation this way works well and keeps the pants in alignment.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S4022628.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2216249   Click image for larger version

Name:	S4022629.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	717.1 KB
ID:	2216250   Click image for larger version

Name:	S4022635.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	766.1 KB