RCU Forums - View Single Post - Direct or indirect drive servos?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 04:23 AM
sandal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Xpress,
thank you for your answer.

I am not sure I understand completely, and there may be different terminology describing servo potentiometers. My reason for asking is that indirect drive potentiometers are said to be longer lasting and more resistant to vibration. For that reason I would prefer to buy indirect drive servos.

I am referring to direct/indirect drive as described on https://www.servocity.com/what-servo-should-i-use:
"Indirect Drive - This refers to the potentiometer inside the servo. The final output shaft (the part that the horn/arm attaches) has to be supported not only near the end but also deep inside the servo case. Indirect drive is when the final output shaft is not dependent on the potentiometer for support inside the gear case. Normally a bushing or bearing supports the load. Direct Drive is when the potentiometer plays a supporting role in holding the output shaft in place."

Does this mean that it is safe to assume that all dual bearing (plain or ball) servos have indirect drive potentiometers?

I have found a few specification sheets from Hitec RCD Korea Inc., by Jun Hee, Lee. In some cases these list different specifications than hitecrcd.com. The HS-475HB is listed as 6-slider Indirect Drive, whereas the HS-5485 is listed as 2-slider Direct Drive. Hitec marketed the HS-(5)485HB as an upgrade from the HS-(5)475HB, and I find it difficult to understand that they would choose an inferior type of potentiometer.

Sorry for the long post. If you could explain this (or some of it) to me, I will be very grateful.

Thank you!