RCU Forums - View Single Post - One of My Oldest Planes Crashed Today.
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 10:21 AM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Back in the 80's a guy was helping me get back into flying. He had given me a sport pattern .40 size plane.i had installed a K&B .40. It had rubber band mounted wing.
Anyway I had taken off and was flying laps a couple mistakes high. He was standing close by but chatting with a couple other guys. Suddenly the wing popped off at speed. Servo wires from the wing servo apparently pulled the receiver and battery out with them so the motor was at full throttle. The fuselage was now flying like a longbow arrow. LOL

I turned to my buddy and " help, save my plane". Larry turned and grabbed the transmitter and began thumbing the sticks like mad. In a few seconds the fuselage came screaming straight down into a plowed field. The wing continued fluttering around for about a minute before it landed in a small pond.

i really tried to be serious but watching him and the other guys but it was just too much. He was profusely apologizing for the crash and offered another plane. I said I would buy another plane but not to worry about the crash as it was just an accident and not his fault. We did have a laugh as I dug the motor out of the dirt. It was really planted deep.

I bought another ther similar plane from him and we flew again the next week. From here on all of my wings have been bolted on.