RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie again
Thread: Newbie again
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 07:48 AM
yorkiepap
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is nothing wrong with flying on the 72Mhz band. Some clubs have eliminated the 72 band, although most still allow its use as long as the club rules regarding posting your Ch Freq. are adhered to. I still fly several gliders & trainers on 72Mhz as I find they have a somewhat better range as my older JR Tx's have a 750mw output, whereas the new radios on 2.4Ghz are only 200mw in the USA & 100mw overseas. Many of the radios imported to the US from China are only 100mw thus reducing your transmitting power by half which is another factor with pricing. Your radio should be fine & you can always look for a TM-8 2.4Ghz Spektrum module for your Futaba that would allow you to use your radio with all the models that are Spektrum BNF, usually from Horizon Hobby. Be sure to do a range test prior to flight to insure a solid RF link. On 72, you collapse the antenna totally & check your control movements about 50-60 paces from the model. Lastly, most of the older radios were much better quality/component wise & still work like new. I still use my 20+yo JR10X's & a 30yo JR Galaxy Computer8 Tx as they were built like brick s-hse's.

Denny