RCU Forums - View Single Post - SCX10 with Unimog shell
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 05:48 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default SCX10 with Unimog shell

I'm a rote newbie to crawlers. You'll usually find me over at the RC tanks forum. I've been involved with those since the 1970s
and mostly gas/glow at that but have a lot to learn regarding crawlers. I bought a Axial SCX10 chassis as I purely as I liked
the look of it and the way it is made. I have had experience with the old Kyosho Land Jump and Playtron buggies.

I've read threads on the Tamiya CC01 family and I was tempted to purchase a derivative and I still may.

My plan for this isn't really as a strict crawler and I'm more interested in making a more or less scale Unimog out of it using an
after market hard body(ABS) shell. But I'd like it to have crawling possibilities...

Not having differentials but rather fixed solid shafts may be an issue so after looking around I see there might be options to change the
axles to use live differentials by Integy? Who here has done this and if so what are the pitfalls? How much strength and reliability will I be
sacrificing? Also I see there are remotely ( at least I believe they are) lockable axles; are these any good? I'm going to go admit it: I
love gadgets so all of this appeals to me on a fundamental level.

As an older nearly retired old dude I don't expect to be out there crashing through the trails and river beds with all you young whippersnappers
but I want reliability and power, above all power. I really want to try a 80 turn motor with a 3:1 reduction unit going into the SCX10's transmission
but something tells me I'd regret it...

Please be kind to an ( old) newbie!

Thoughts?

Jerry