RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/2A starter.
Thread: 1/2A starter.
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 02:44 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
I found that as I was spending more time around 1/2A engines, the number 1 nemesis was good power to the glow head. I don't trust the Sub C-cell starters even though I have half a dozen fresh NiMH batteries. A couple of days ago I set up to get a pretty new TD .051 engine running on a pod for a 72" Wanderer. The battery should have been fully charged. I flipped and flipped, got one or two week burps. I had limited time and hung up the job for the day suspecting the glow head charger.
I resurrected a project I started last year, using an eBay voltage regulator and an eBay Voltmeter/Ammeter.
A couple of days ago, I made one unit for glow heads and one for glow plugs.
You can plug any LiPo into it - the voltage reg takes up to 30V, and is rated for 3A - right in the pocket for glow plugs.

Today was the first field test and it worked fine - it is my go-to setup. Anything else I've used is secondary, now.
Pics attached. The digital display is multiplexed so it is hard to read but it reads 1.41 V, 2.31A.
Ok - so here is what I have learned over the years of flying - mostly 1/2A stuff. Glow plugs were invented to make real performers out of formerly spark ignition engines back in the 1940's - they removed the spark points and cams from the engine and installed a simple glow plug to provide heat for the new fuel concoction of alcohol, nitromethane and castor oil. as time went by improvements were made in the engines mainly to enhance performance. BUT little was done to the glow plugs except to change the heat range which now runs from cold to hot plugs but they remain essentially the same. The big change was the batteries we use to heat the plugs - back in the day the mobile power source was a 2 volt wet cell or a 1 1/2 volt dry cell , modelers were looking for quick reliable ways to heat the plugs at the flying field so nicads, and nickel batteries started to be used but these batteries only provide 1.2 volts not the 1.5 or 2.0 of the older technologies but the glow plugs hadn't changed and may not be a simple change to make due to the delicate nature of the platinum element used. non rechargeable dry tech batteries like ordinary flashlight batteries of 1.5 volts will heat the plugs hotter for easier starting but will loose their charge quickly at the field . my plan is simple for problem engines, i just use my power panel on the flight box but a plan B could be to use a fresh dry cell flashlight battery or a non-rechargeable Lithium 1.5 volt battery. .
As an aside : Some devices that use AA or AAA batteries don't function well (some not at all) with rechargeable 1.2 volt batteries because their circuitry is designed for a dry 1.5 volt power source.