RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/2A starter.
Thread: 1/2A starter.
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 04:58 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
I know regular glow plug starters get most people by, the starters with the sub-c batteries, but they just seem to me to be a weak link in the program. Although I am using the 2600mAh LiPo, it is because it is puffed out a bit and redundant, now. I have run the setup with 1300mAh's, and you can go lower. We all seem to have extra LiPo's around so a dead charger is not a threat. Of course, you can use a power panel and a lead acid 12V (wet cell) but that has a single purpose, and the LiPos carry as much capacity. As a backup, I just bought a really, really small power panel that I think is used by car guys - the Dyratrax Kwik-Pit Mini Power Panel DTXP5770. It's about the size of a credit card, at most 3/4" inch thick. I think it would probably deal with a 3S LiPo at 12.6 Volts.
By the by - mah or mAh simply refers to how many milliamps of current it has and can release in an hour at a given rate. Voltage is the power or push that a battery has - so a 2600mAh and a 1300mAh will have the same push , or power, at the same voltage but the 1300mAh battery will die sooner given the same load as a 2600mAh battery or even a 3500mAh battery. For more power or push add cells.
Lithium Polymer batteries are 3.7 volts per cell so a 3S liPo is 11.1volts but it's a difference that probably doesn't make a difference through a power panel. BUT for a starter it usually needs a bit more power to spin larger engines. a 12v lead acid battery fresh off the charger usually has a voltage of around 13.8volts and it levels off after awhile to 12.xxx volts. A LiPo at 11.1 volts probably won't spin an engine over 60 against strong compression (I use 14.8 volts) dynatron and Ryobi starters can handle up to 18 volts.

Last edited by gmeyers; 06-25-2017 at 05:08 AM. Reason: adding txt