RCU Forums - View Single Post - Leadout Splice?
Thread: Leadout Splice?
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 08:02 AM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leadout Splice?

One of the guys in my RC club acquired a garage-hanging Nobler and a Fox 35 that was headed for the trash. With the demise of my C/L trainer last year, my thinking is that this plane can take it's place, if only for a few flights. Since it's decrepit enough to not survive the first figure-9 anyway, I have no desire to spend any money or heroics to do anything beyond making it safe.
One of the issues that probably kept it from flying was that the leadouts did not leave enough margin beyond the wingtip to terminate properly. Digging into the center of a Nobler to access the bellcrank is pretty much out of the question...Been there before. But I have cut into the bottom wing skin just shy of the fuselage to view the bellcrank and hopefully splice in new leadouts. Bellcrank attachments look okay, but not bushed.
I have threaded in new leads and made a splice attempt on one of them. Both ends were run through an uncrimped leader crimp and about an inch of lead is folded over and bound with copper wire out and back in prep for epoxy.
I've decided to stop here and ask for comments before I commit to these shenanigans. Is this a bad idea or what?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170717_111053.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	578.0 KB
ID:	2224700