RCU Forums - View Single Post - NATS 2017 Report
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I started flying the Pegasus during the fall and winter months. Practice sessions consisted of two to three flights almost exclusively of F-17 sequences. At the NATS last year, this sequence was a turning point. Either FAI pilots have to learn the new complicated maneuvers (e.g., knife edge top hat from the top) or just resign to being swallowed up by the advancement in pattern difficulty. While watching the 1971 pattern world championships video that Jay Gerber put together some 46 years ago, I found it amazing how much F3A has evolved. My first pattern plane was a Kaos with Webra Blackhead, a design not unlike some flown at that world championships. Well, pattern flying is about challenge and I could not back down from that challenge. I practiced that F sequence through the winter and Spring. I'd like to make a quick shout-out to Andrew Jesky for helping adjust the Spin 99 break on the Pegasus. Once Spring arrived it was time to switch over to glow- and the Allure which is much more suited to this type of advanced aerobatic flying in the new FAI sequences.