RCU Forums - View Single Post - Battery Fire
Thread: Battery Fire
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 10:20 AM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aymodeler
I have a large collection of Lipos and treat them with a healthy dose of respect, but not to the point where I am afraid to handle them at all. Lipo fires do happen, but I know of no verified instance of a pack spontaneously self-combusting without some sort of encouragement (usually it turns out that the pack had been used after being physically damaged, or overcharged, or run too low, or shorted, or overheated, or somehow mishandled ...). Truth is that there are a lot of ways you can screw up with a Lipo, but if treated with care and respect they can be safe.

I am curious about where people store their Lipos though. Even though the risk is relatively low (again if properly handled), the consequences are very high.

Al
Hi Al,

Even though we never met in person, you unofficially know someone that had a LIPO self combust in his hand for no reason, it wasn't just charged, charging, sitting in the sun baking, plugged in with a load on it. I had a 2S Lipo in my F-16 that has been sitting for 2-3 months in the plane and unplugged. I was going to go fly a different jet and needed an ECU battery, so I went to the F-16, opened the canopy, removed the Velcro strap, and as I was lifting the battery out of the plane, it went nuclear!! The battery was not plugged in or puffed in any way. I threw the battery out on the driveway when it went off. I grabbed a shovel and buried it in the flower bed and went flying. I came back 5-6 hrs later and the ground was still smoking where I buried the LIPO. I can also tell you, I have talked to guys that stored their LIPO's in AMMO cans and fire proof safes and had the battery burn through the can and safe like it was paper. I disposed of all my LIPO's after that fiasco and just don't need to fly a plane that requires a LIPO. Like I mentioned earlier in this post, I know to many guys that lost a lot from LIPO fires.

Regards,

Dirk