RCU Forums - View Single Post - New guy, looking for direction
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 04:51 AM
MurphyLong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom blue angles
Hi My friend,listen,This could be answered very easy, No guts,no glory! I say this with all respect to you. I was shy about flying when I was younger,but I learned over time that I go to the field and when I'm ready to fly,I fuel up,start up,and go rig out to flight line and punch the throttle. I found out that if you hesitate a little, your gonna be to tence to fly. But when I'm aggressive, I feel I have more control of my model.
While I appreciate the show of bravado and blind encouragement, I'm not in the habit of destroying things, and that's what would happen, quite quickly I might add.

Originally Posted by RBACONS
Forget the "no guts, no glory" approach. A low wing, nitro plane is going to be much faster and much more agile than a foamy trainer. You probably should not attempt to fly them alone unless you could care less when they crash on the first flight. Having a more experienced pilot with you on a buddy box would be the way to go.

You need to ensure that batteries in the plane and transmitters are still good (charge/discharge several times to make sure they are still holding at least 80% of their rated capacity. If not, replace them. Also, if you switch to a 2.4 GHz transmitter, be aware that you will have to replace the receivers that are in the plane with ones that are compatible with the new transmitter.

And if you're not a nitro guy, it may make more sense to try and sell it all and buy an electric foamy set up your more comfortable with.
I prefer Nitro, just don't have as much time flying them as I wish I did. I have been trying to find some people locally who fly, but not much luck so far. As for the batteries, I would definitely be replacing them, since the ones I was given are at least 2 years old. I'll probably take them all to Batteries Plus for disposal after this tropical storm.

It's a given that upgrading to 2.4 would warrant changes on the Rx as well, just not sure if 72mhz is even a viable frequency or not.

Originally Posted by TomCrump
I agree. Even taxiing them in the street could lead to disaster. Like you, I feel that finding local, experienced help is the prudent way forward.
Originally Posted by Calvinman
You need to get someone to inspect and test fly and trim out your plane, then as mentioned get someone to buddy box with you till you get the hang of it. Things happen very fast and until you are used to it you will probably just end up taking garbage bags full of plane home without an instructor.

Calvi
Yeah, when I first started with the LiPo Foamies, the first 2 were pushers, and I pushed them straight into the ground. Went and bought a more "plane-like" park flyer, and things were MUCH more manageable. Turning off the "nanny" mode on the plane actually made it easier to fly, the only issue I had when I stopped flying was that I had nowhere decent to land, it was grass or gravel, so I had to learn how to "plop" it at the lowest speed possible to stop the gear from catching grass and planting the prop. Now there's a 1/4 mile long paved road in front of the house with virtually no traffic, so I will have a much easier time with landing...

I appreciate all of the input so far, and I'm thinking I may just offer up the planes for sale somewhere, to someone who may want them, I just don't know how to even value them.

With the surplus of engines I have, I will likely just turn around and invest anything I get from selling stuff into a decent Nitro trainer. My next question is, do I keep these dozen or so engines I have, or should I just sell them to someone who might need them more than I do? I'm familiar with BNF/ARF/RTF/PNF and I'm leaning towards buying something that is BNF and buying a decent Tx that can grow and learn as I do.