RCU Forums - View Single Post - My Senior Falcon saves Grandpa's life!
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 12:48 PM
JT Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally back. Thx again Grotto2 re my attached photos. I am not very good with computer applications. I have not tried adjusting/cropping photos with windows but I have used the scanning app to upload the above, so maybe I will take a look at that if I upload anymore. The other problem with resolution is with the original photos themselves which are very poor to start with.

Getting back to the story! The initial flights with the Senior Falcon were accomplished with the very tired and worn Super Tiger engine. I mentioned earlier it was a .61. Not that it matters, but it could have been a .60. At any rate, many flights were had with with it up front. As time went by it became more finicky, so I considered changing it out for something else. Earlier that year I had acquired a brand new Merco .35. This was the only option I had at the time. It had a black head, but it was not the Merco like the .45's that had 2 glow plugs. Although I had intended to use it on some future project, I wondered if had enough oomph to fly my bird. One way to find out! With a little adjustment on the front end, a new motor mount, and with the addition of bit of lead up front, it was ready to go again. I had read that Mercos were not very fussy about high nitro content fuels. I made my own home brew from locally available methanol and a new synthetic oil called Klotz. This combination proved to work well. Before returning to the flying field (gravel pit) several tankfuls were put through the engine at home. After a few runs it seemed to smooth out, and didn't need any more than a chicken stick to start, and the top end while not remarkable, seemed adequate. And so, off to the gravel pit! The first takeoff indicated that the distance required was remarkably similar compared to the Super Tiger, as was the top speed. This was a pleasant surprise. The upside was the Merco's dependability and ease of operation. Overall, this combination was very good and a satisfying way to finish the season.

The next spring my flying buddy, Leo and I lucked out when we gained permission to fly at a mostly unused runway facility originally built for WWII training. This was near the town of Deseronto, a driving distance of about 20 miles, a small sacrifice to pay in return for an ideal place to fly. At this point I should state that my home town, Picton, Ontario, is located on Prince Edward County. If you check a map of North America, you will notice P.E.C. as a small chunk of land protruding from the north shore of Lake Ontario .The county in reality ought to be considered an island as it is completely surrounded by water. The only access to and from the mainland is via bridges or by boat. In order to get to Deseronto I needed to drive over the long 'Skyway' bridge, a distance of approximately 1.5 or 2 kilometers. I admit, this is a guess! Flying at the Mohawk airport as it was called, was wonderful, with lots of open space in all direction. For this reason, takeoffs and landings were much easier. At this time another friend in the hobby joined us. Charley was a more elderly gentleman, retired and more well to do than Leo and I.

The flying season in this part of Canada begins in April unless you choose to fly with skis or on ice. Due to my physical limitations and adversity to cold, I choose to not go this route! For some time that spring I flew my Falcon with the Merco .35. Although this was very enjoyable and many flights were had, I found myself wishing to have more power. With the .35, I could inside loop and do slow rolls, and really nice stall turns, that was about it. It was about this time that Charley, who could afford the best in equipment, purchased a new .61 engine for one of his pattern ships. It was a Webra .61 blackhead. How many of you remember that one? It became quite popular in it's day. Well Charley plunked it in the front of his latest models a sleek low winger. It may have been call a Leopard, but it may have his Sabre. At any rate, he showed up at the field ready to try this new engine, straight out of the box. Charley, also, used 5% or 10% fuel in all his engines. This combination did not work out very well. The engine would start when coaxed with the electric starter but the carb adjustment seemed all over the place. Two or three attempts at takeoff resulted in the engine stopping before liftoff. The final attempt concluded with a stall just after takeoff and a crash onto the tarmac. Charley was quite upset by this occurrence , but that is an understatement! He said some very uncomplimentary things about, and to, that poor Webra! Off the top of his head he said.."Does anyone want to buy this #@%#&@# engine cheap?" Off the top of my head I responded, "Sure Charley, I'll give you twenty bucks!" To my surprise, he said, "You got it!" Well, I couldn't believe my good luck. In less then 10 minutes he had it off the front of that airplane, and I had it in my hands! All the way home that day I was thinking about my plans to put the Webra into the Falcon.

Gotta go for now - will pick this up asap....JT

Our flying season

Last edited by JT Hammer; 10-02-2017 at 03:36 AM.