RCU Forums - View Single Post - My Senior Falcon saves Grandpa's life!
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 06:46 AM
JT Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally back again! About the same time as the above and while flying at the Mohawk airport I had another idea that might be fun.. Why not attempt to fly he Falcon over the Skyway Bridge. This bridge was located one or two kilometers from our flying site at the airport and the bridge itself, is perhaps one kilometer in length (I am not sure). This bridge connects the mainland to Prince Edward Country, where I lived. The body of water is the Bay of Quinte, a long reach of water, approx. 20 miles in length that eventually opens to Lake Ontario. Of course we had to utilize the convertible again to accomplish this feat. And so, with my friend Dave at the wheel and myself in the passenger side, we filled the 12 ounce tank and got the faithful Webra fired up. Transmitter in hand and takeoff from the tarmac, away we went. Half throttle seemed about right to keep the speed reasonable for us to keep up. I attempted to keep the Falcon about two or three hundred feet high in order to keep a good visual. We had to travel down a gravel road first in order to get to hwy 49 the main highway. This probably took only 3 or 4 minutes. At this point we were just a few moments from commencing up the long slope of the Skyway Bridge. I must admit, I became a bit apprehensive at this time, and thought what might happen if the engine quit part way over, i.e. try landing on the bridge, that would be reckless, or dump my bird in the bay. At any rate, we had come this far, so we elected to go for it. I advanced the throttle to high and took the Falcon high, thinking that height would be my friend if I had to glide. As it turned out, my fears were unfounded. We made it to the other side with no problem and had fuel left to spare. We drove another 2 or 3 miles before the Webra stopped. We simply glided down and landed on the wide shoulder of the road. On this particular day the hwy was quite devoid of traffic so it seemed ok to land on the shoulder. We had the option to land in a field as this was farm country, but choose not to. I will try to upload a pic of the Skyway Bridge.....Until the next time, cheers!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture Skyway Bridge #3.PNG
Views:	105
Size:	893.4 KB
ID:	2230645  

Last edited by JT Hammer; 09-05-2017 at 06:50 AM.