RCU Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire arf 95" phoenix assembly
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 08:27 AM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey guys,
Thanks for posting all the good info on this plane.
As with my other two topflite ARF's, I plane to re-enforce the front end with FG cloth and resin: also the wheel wells.
I figured those radiator vents would be weak so more FG and resin on those, as well. I'm thinking of just screwing the covers on so, on a belly landing, the covers can be removed and repaired. Some FG cloth over the gear doors, also.
Might be able to toss the plastic wheel well inserts, cut the sheeting larger and just line it with some 1/64" thick ply so larger wheels can be used!
I haven't checked the gears, yet, with air.
Sounds good using some socket head screws for the spinner. Will go with the original, for now: if it doesn't 'hold up', I'll just replace it. No starter sounds logical.
As with the topflite ARF's, I let them sit in the sun in the backyard and used a heating iron to fix the wrinkles.
I don't own any previous 'plug in' wings but that 'set up' looks like it will work well for transportation and ease of 'set up'.
The plane should only be around 25 lbs so the DLE-61 should handle it. The only negative is the big hole that's going to be needed for the muffler in the side of the cowl.
I'm hoping she flies as well as my old yellow spit: was real easy to taxi, take off and land.
Had over 300 flights on her: was getting ugly so I sold her, cheap.

Last edited by samparfitt; 09-28-2017 at 08:36 AM.