RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
The Conley and the Abitar were a good,lesson in using an engine the way it was designed. As I've mentioned before, either would turn a 14x6, (the only prop recommended) at 12,000 plus. But some insisted on trying a 15x8 with which they could barely manage 8,000 and made awful hurting sounds. This was on 10% fuel. They were mechanically quiet on the 14x6 except for the propeller howl. Notice the size of the cam followers, that was so,the valve stem did not have to handle sideways cam forces.
I had one of the first 10 Conleys made. It ran well started easily. I had it on a Ace 4-120 Bipe that I built from a kit. It drew attention at fly-ins. If I'd gone to a 15" prop it would have 4" or 5" pitch. The only knock on the engine was that if you got a prop strike, the timing belt would slip. If that hapenned you had to remove the engine from the model take off the cam/belt cover and retime the cams vs crank. Made you extra careful with your landings.

I sold that engine to a German collector for more than I had in it. Replaced it in the model with a early HC Saito 1.50 and the growing pains with that engine are a whole other story.

CR