RCU Forums - View Single Post - DLE-20RA experience or advice?? twin setup in a B25
Old 10-08-2017, 05:32 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default DLE-20RA experience or advice?? twin setup in a B25

Hello Fellas, I am no stranger to Gas engines, I have everything from 30ccs to 170cc engines. However this is my first DLE-20RA, and have a few questions in regards to RPM and power. I am building a ESM 96in B-25, and was told 2 of these engines should fly the 28-32lb B25 just fine. I bought this engine new, first thing I did was removed the jug and put a bowman ring in it, I then removed the reed block smoothed and flattened it. reassembled everything, then checked the timing, which was at about 33 degrees, I moved it to 28 degrees, and mounted it in my test plane, A hangar 9 .60 size corsair. I got the engine started easily set the needles and ran it shortly varying RPMS. Then I took it to the field. I am one of those guys who has been building racecar engines and I believe you break the engine in the way you plan on using it, meaning I break my engines in up in the air in a plane. I started with a 2 blade prop, it flew the plane OK, nothing spectacular, but will fly it, I then switched to a 3 blade prop, engine picked up some RPMS and plane was noticeably faster. I could actually hear the 3 blade unload when turning and putting it into a dive. Engine starts super easily, and idles fantastic. The transition is good all the way up to TOP RPMS however On the 3 Blade prop there is a DEFINATE slower spool up to the top end.
My RPMS are
16x8 xoar WW2 prop 7300-7500 RPMS
15x7x3 master Airscrew 8200 RPMS
Are these normal RPM numbers? anyone have any real data on how much thrust these little engines put out? think these 2 together will be enough for a 30lb plane? I ask because I have never had experience with these engines, I always tend to overpower my models and keep my left stick in control. any help would greatly be appreciated Fellas, I am on the fence right now with this engine and debating throwing a couple 35RAs in the b25 which I know will be more than needed.
thanks
Ronnie