RCU Forums - View Single Post - need photo help w/ TFG P-51
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 06:54 PM
balsabuff
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool need photo help w/ TFG P-51

Hi, fellow builders. I've resisted knocking Top Flite even tho there is / was plenty of things to grump about that Top Flite could have taken care of before the kits hit the market. I'll list some of my complaints at the bottom of this thread. Your'e welcome to comment, gripe or even defend TF.
My first problem is to install the retract tailwheel in the 1/5 P-51 along with the closing gear doors. The ARF P-51 has parts and instructions, related to the rear gear-doors, turn / mount method. However, my Mustang is a KIT, and doesn't have these included or available thru a side order ! What I would really appreciate are photos or drawing of these unique ARF parts being installed in the ARF, so I can try to figure out what I will need to do.
As long as I'm moaning about TP scale models, here are a few of the other gripes :
P-51 nose is awkwardly shapped so that apparently it can use a 5" spinner instead of a 5-1/2 . This looks crummy but at least you can buy the right spinner from Dave Brown, etc, and proper sized version cowl in fiberglass, from Leospycalla ;
The old F-8F " Red Kit has the same cowl as the TF Corsair, to save them production money. Bearcat and Corsair don't use a very close looking cowl, and it requires plenty of work to make it look proper for the Bearcat. ;
The TF C-47 looks terrible with the furnished plastic fuse nose piece. Why they couldn't make it right is anyone's guess.;
I've been building TF kits since the '60 and had plenty of fun building ; 60 incher P-51, P-47, P-39, P-40, Bearcat, among w/ sport models. Like to hear from you guys. 'buff