RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1970 Champion EK transmitter
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 08:07 AM
Mark Powell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j.duncker
Just to repeat although that Logitrol transmitter will most likely still work it would be technically illegal to use it or even turn it on. Any RC club would take a dim view of you trying to use it at a flying site. The frequency allocation has changed and bandwidth is much narrower.

However RC gear is now incredibly cheap compared to 1970 and has a myriad of features. In fact one good reason to join a club or at least seek expert help is that you need someone to help you program the dang thing.

A base 6 channel Turnigy TX RX and 4 servos will come in under $90
All valid, but it's the 'nostalgia value' that makes us like using old r/c systems, particularly the US made ones as they always led the field.

And you don't need the "myriad of features" of the modern systems, you just adjust everything 'mechanically' on each plane, as we used to do.

I frequently use an old Pro Line. converted to 2.4. It's real nice to just switch it on and have it work for any of my planes, not having to do this 'model selection' stuff. But it does means you have to do these 'mechanical adjustments' on each plane, and I haven't done them all yet. (When I have, I will of course be able to have just one setup, with no need to select the model, on my modern radios too.)