RCU Forums - View Single Post - BVM Composite Bandit Build Thread. Yes from 1998.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:10 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Ive been working on this off and on, and am no determined to keep at it. I had to obtain some missing parts and that is taken care of until I find something else missing.

Keep in mind I am not a "builder" in the strict sense, so some things may seem obvious but I will still ask.

With that said, I am to the point I am fitting the wings to the fuse. The instructions say to use blocks under the wing root and the wing tips and align the wing with the fuse molding. The blocks are from 1 piece of balsa you cut up per the instructions to the proper lengths.

However I just want to confirm, these blocks are not setting the incidence. With the wings attached to the formers with bolts, and the wings aligned to the fuse, there isn't really much play at all in the incidence. this is because if the former is in the fuse, then the former determines how the wing sets. There is some play in the wing AOA but if you align it to the fuse its pretty much set it seems. The main problem with using the block to force incidence, is that because of where they have you put the blocks, the fuse can "rock" on these blocks back and forth. The instructions say to stabilize the fuse with other blocks, but how high I life the rear up will affect how the jet sits on the blocks. This in turns changes the incidence if I do some sanding or something to change it!

With that said the outside blocks on the wingtip almost lift the fuse off the blocks it sets on. Seems really inaccurate way to do this, so I wanted to confirm the blocks are just there to help you set up the wings. As long as the wings align with the fuse, and they are attached to the formers, then they should be good right?

The main thing I am trying to do is get these formers set, so I can get the bandit up on its legs and ensure the main gear are at the correct angles before I hysol in the mounts I made.