RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tactic 850
Thread: Tactic 850
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 08:39 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ma_mulcahy
Yes, the turkeys discontinued it and I am not happy about it. I bought the 650 and then upgraded to the 850 when it became available. However, I am now thinking about going to a different manufacturer that may be more stable in the long run. I would prefer not to spend more than $300-400 on a new transmitter, but the receivers have got to be reasonably priced. Futaba get's low marks in that regard. Futaba was my preferred brand prior to Tactic.

Having said that, I have also been drawn to a number of Horizon BNF models, so maybe Spektrum is the way to go there. Especially given that Hobbico/Tower is in imminent danger of entering bankruptcy or simply liquidating.
Shocked that Tower dropped the 850. That was a big item in the Toledo Show last year. Maybe they are coming up with something better/bigger? I would call Tower and ask what their plans are for a replacement.

You must be really courageous to go with Spectrum given their history.

If you want low cost but high value and don't mind spending some time learning to program them, the FrSky radios are the best out there. They have a huge selection of receivers and telemetry components for eye-opening prices (low). Plus they are super dependable, I never had a glitch. Again, the only drawback is you have to learn to program with OpenTx system. But once you learn that, you will really benefit from its capabilities.