RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is Hobbico going out of Business?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 08:56 AM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too wordy of a response to the "what's happening" in the hobby so I'll try to condense it:
1) Parents -- will not support kids that are interested in model aviation
2) Parents -- drop kids off at model aviation events set up specifically for them with the expectation that it is a baby sitting service.
3) Parents -- will not drive kids to a club field or meeting because they have too much other stuff to do.
4) Parents -- don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold themselves.
5) Parents -- allow kids to "be entertained" through mind numbing video games rather than encouraging them to "entertain themselves" though a hobby that requires building.
6) Competition -- Wonderful Taranis XD9+ for $200 or Futaba/JR/Spektrum/Graupner for hundreds more up to a couple thousand more.
7) Competition -- Global source of hobby stuff including bits and pieces (especially electronics related) that the local shops don't carry (or could not afford to carry due to lack of demand)
8) Education -- Clubs and hobby shops do not do enough in their communities to try and draw folks into the hobby. A once a year show is not enough. (My club does two fun flies, home & rec show, aviation day at the airport, AMA building program, Memorial Day Parade, city council meetings, talk to other civic groups, buddy box trials at any time.
9) Attitude -- Younger adults and their kids look for instant gratification. Buy on impulse, see if I can break it, and then beg for another one when they can't find parts at the local
hardware store.
Here are just two success stories of young folks who have their ticket for a great future in aviation because they were involved in Model Aviation.
1) Began buddy box work with me at age 10, got into heli's and became very proficient, private pilots licence before he got his drivers license. Junior at University of North Dakota in their aviation program. Paid to test fly for Northrup/Grumman Aviation/University program. Test fly for NASA. Now has his multi-engine, instrument and instructor ratings.
2) Foreign exchange student flew rc airplanes at our field and is now in the Norwegian Air Force (very likely flying drones) for NATO.
Opportunity is there but hobbyists need to do more than just fly to perpetuate the hobby.