RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF-Models 2013 Series 3.1m Extra 330SC
Old 01-15-2018, 05:04 PM
Dean Bird
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Bird
Wow!! After an email in August I had gone from no plans to fly this fall to flying three events in a six-week span, winning at the Tucson Aerobatic Shootout, and qualifying for the IMAC World Championships. Needless to say, this has made a big change to next year's plans.
I moved up to Unlimited to try and gain flying skills in preparation for the IMAC World Championships in September. I had 15 practice flights for a total of 30 sequences before the Supersition Challenge last weekend. On practice flight 15 I had finally gotten through both sequences in a flight with no zeroes. I was ready.

We had an absolute blast at the contest with abundant sunshine, temps in the mid to high 70s, and calm winds all weekend. Couldn't ask for more.

We had six pilots in our Unlimited class. I had lots of friends judging and calling my flights so we were making jokes and cracking up at the bad stuff. Over-rotate the 1 1/4 snap to knife edge and only have 30 degrees left to fit in a 2 of 8... "Nice 2 of 32!!" We were celebrating any success. Hit a double positive snap on the downline... "Boom!!"

I ended up 2nd place... in the competition for 2nd to last place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-13 Superstition Challenge.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	2251301

I did get several scores of 10... on Sound.

It is interesting to see the total "percentage of perfection" on your Final Score. I averaged a score of 6.76 per maneuver. Bryant Mack averaged 8.89 per maneuver for the contest and 9.25 in the Unknown round. I am not now, or will ever be, competitive in the Unlimited class. For sure I am gaining skills to compete in the Advanced class at the World Championships, though.

I hope to see everyone at the Winter Roundup at Felix Ranch on February 17th for some more entertaining flights, hooting, hollering, and good times.

Last edited by Dean Bird; 01-18-2018 at 03:19 PM.