RCU Forums - View Single Post - Does crow aileron reduce landing airspeed?
Old 02-20-2018, 02:25 PM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt,
I'm sure you probably remember the Interceptor(s) I flew back in the late 90's. I did a little kit bashing when I built those and redesigned the wing planform (I don't remember exactly why). The result was that the damned thing flew like a bat outta hell, but it even with full flaps it took three laps around the field at idle to get it to slow down enough for a landing approach. I solved the problem by adding crow.
With flaps only the nose would drop (actually looked like it was flying downhill in level flight) and it would not slow down. When I added the crow the nose stayed level, it took less up elevator to maintain level flight, and the plane slowed down quite nicely for landing, and I actually had to carry a little power throughout the approach.
I don't know if it allowed the plane to fly any slower, but it certainly achieved the goal of slowing it down in a more timely fashion, i.e. more positive control over the planes airspeed.

Another note on the subject, if you are going to use crow be vary careful not to throw it all in at too high an airspeed. On my first Interceptor (the ducted fan one) I threw the flaps and crow in while it was still doing about 140mph and the plane went all weird, I had to hold a lot of aileron and rudder correction to bring it in for landing. After finally getting it on the ground I found that he top wing skin (foam wing, balsa sheeting, and glassed) on the right wing had cracked from the center of the leading edge diagonally back to about the middle of the flap. It took a lot of twisting force to make that happen!
I added carbon fiber strips to the sheeting of the next two (turbine) versions of that plane that I built!