RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kingtech 210 Whistle
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 10:05 AM
Custmachr
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyn2high
I my Skymaster T-33 I have a fairly loud high pitch whistle at high throttle settings. I've been told this could be very dangerous.

Here is a video that you can sort of hear the whistle on take off (at 1:10 min) and when I accelerate to do a roll (at 2:30 min). For some reason the whistle is a bit muted in the video. As I remember it was a lot louder in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHUgUCrm07c&t=428s

I've been told that it could be due to the exhaust tube bell-mouth being too far from the back of the turbine and that hot exhaust was recirculating back to the intake.

I opened it back up to see what I could do. Please see the attached photo. The exhaust tube bell-mouth is actually slightly overlapping the rear of the turbine by about 1/8 inch. I am now wondering if the bi-pass is too tight a fit on the turbine. At the front of the bi-pass where it necks down it is 1/4" clearance. At the widest point it is 1/2" clearance. Should I remove the bi-pass and give it a try?

The settings are all set to the default for diesel fuel except I reduced the max rpm to 114,000 rpm so as not to overpower the plane.

Please let me know what you think,

you should be able to find the exact recommended distance from the exhaust tube to the pipe. It is generally in the 3/4 to 1 inch range. But this distance is measured to where the straight part of the pipe starts. The bell does not matter. It appears in the picture your turbine is too far from the pipe.