RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF-Models 2013 Series 3.1m Extra 330SC
Old 04-12-2018, 03:33 PM
Dean Bird
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Bird
Wow!! After an email in August I had gone from no plans to fly this fall to flying three events in a six-week span, winning at the Tucson Aerobatic Shootout, and qualifying for the IMAC World Championships. Needless to say, this has made a big change to next year's plans.
My fifth contest in the Unlimited class this year happened last weekend in Hemet, California. We only had a 3 pilot class. The total count didn't matter. It was still me and one other pilot in a fierce competition for 2nd to last place.

I flew two of the best Knowns I could on Saturday. I had a slight lead for 2nd to last place. I could tell by the scoring that I still had the superior hardware. We had a very windy round on Saturday afternoon. My plane handled the "contest" conditions easily and my scores weren't impacted. I was still scoring an average around 7.5 per maneuver. Both the other pilots had planes that didn't handle the conditions as well and their scores showed it. This plane is fun to fly.

I was happy to see our Unknown for Sunday morning. It looked like a slightly tougher than usual Advanced Unknown that we might see at the World Championships in September. This would be good test to see if all this Unlimited flying had added new skills to prepare for the Worlds. I flopped. I overcooked the 1 1/4 snap on the downline on one maneuver and overcooked the single positive snap going into the Split-S. Two zeroes. Ugh. Once again I finished in 2nd place... in the competition for 2nd to last place.

I was given the 3rd place trophy for participation.

This was my last contest until the World Championships in September. My five Unlimited finishes have been:

Last out of 6
2nd to last out of 5
Last out of 7
3rd to last out of 10
Last out of 3

Flying in the Advanced Class feels like a lifetime ago. My confidence as a pilot has never been lower. That doesn't really matter. We're having fun at the contests. I will fly the World Championships to enjoy the experience and camaraderie with pilots from around the world.

Everyone have a fun summer!!