RCU Forums - View Single Post - What's the attraction of diesel plane engines?
Old 05-24-2018, 03:53 PM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardGee
Model diesels (compression ignition) are fun to play with. It never ceases to fascinate me that an engine can run without a spark or glow plug. Unlike many, I actually like the smell of the exhaust, although I agree that it permeates EVERYTHING and you will want to wear clothes you do not care about and rags you intend to throw away. That said, my flying experience with model diesels, both made for diesel (PAW and MVVS) and Davis conversions, is that other than fuel economy they do absolutely nothing better than a glow engine. And the improved fuel economy has far more to do with lower RPMs than it does the theory that Kerosene possesses greater BTU potential than Methanol. I too like being able to "adjust the timing" with compression, which allows ridiculously large propellers at lower RPMs, but have enjoyed my model diesels FAR more on the bench, than in the air.
I must relate this I had a glow engine in my hand - no tank, no glow lighter but had just cleaned it up with WD 40 and an old rag. Out of habit I flipped the prop and it fired and ran for just a second on just the WD - be careful out there!